Program Mission Statement
At Denlow Community Child Care, we believe that EVERY CHILD should have EVERY OPPORTUNITY to develop to their fullest potential through a child initiated and adult supported environment that embraces and focuses on 5 areas of development in a holistic way.
- Physical (Gross and fine Motor)
- Social/Emotional (Awareness, Respect, Ability to Share and Cooperate)
- Communication/Language (Verbal and Non-Verbal)
- Self-Esteem (Self-Awareness and Positive Self-Image)
- Cognitive (Comprehension, Problem Solving, and Skill Acquisition)
We value children as individuals and as active and capable contributors, with their own interests and points of view. Children are competent, capable of complex thinking, curious, and rich in potential. Our program values and builds on their strengths and abilities, and ensures that every child will feel that he or she belongs, is a valuable contributor to his or her surroundings, and deserves the opportunity to succeed.
Our Strategies to achieve our Program Mission Statement are guided by the work done on Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years (How Does Learning Happen). We understand and value that learning and development happens within relationships among children, families, educators, and their environments. In order for children to grow and flourish, the following four foundational conditions need to exist;
The Foundations of Our Program
- Every child has a sense of belonging when he or she is connected to others and contributes to their world.
- Every child is developing a sense of self, health, and well-being.
- Every child is an active and engaged learner who explores the world with body, mind, and senses.
- Every child is a capable communicator who expresses himself or herself in many ways.
In order to successfully achieve these foundations, we follow strategies that;
- Promote an environment which is healthy, safe, and supports general well being
- Promote an environment which ensures good nutrition and safe food preparation
- Support positive and responsive interactions
- Encourage the children to interact and communicate
- Foster exploration, play and inquiry
- Provide child-initiated and adult-supported experiences
- Plan for and create positive learning environments and experiences
- Incorporate indoor and outdoor play, active play and quiet time
- Foster the engagement of and communications with parents
- Involve local community partners
- Support others in relation to continuous professional learning
PLAY INSPIRES YOU TO THINK DIFFERENTLY
Denlow Community Child Care values and promotes “PLAY” as an essential medium for learning. The Ministry of Educations HDLH (How Does Learning Happen) and ELECT (Early Learning for Every Child Today) is the continuum which supports our Play Based Learning Environment. Through play, each child is encouraged to participate in a variety of “hands-on” activities, including structure building, arts and crafts, language development, math, dramatic play, music, cooking, sand, sensory materials and science experimentation.
Our Staff are reflective and understand the importance of meeting the needs of the individual child as well as creating an atmosphere that fosters and builds positive and responsive relationships, social cooperation and responsibility, positive self-worth, solving problems, making choices as well as opportunities for exploration, inquiry, creative thinking and play. Strong emphasis is placed on individual and small group child-initiated and adult supported learning experiences; utilizing to the fullest extent, the child’s natural means of learning through play. Every child is encouraged to be an active and engaged learner who explores the world with body, mind, and the senses. Daily activities based upon a combination of inquiry and action, offers the children a variety of choices from which to select. These activities are designed to promote satisfaction and success while at the same time promoting problem solving skills and a positive feeling of achievement. Our Registered Early Childhood Educators are trained to pick up on the children’s cues and integrate their individual interests into the daily program plans. They are flexible and responsive to the needs of the individual child, consistently providing opportunities for children to develop social skills of cooperation and sharing. They are further encouraged to discuss and to participate in activities focusing on the world around them, including their home and cultural background, school and the community.
Our staff participates with children as co-investigators, co-learners and co-planners. Every child is given the opportunity daily to:
Develop a curiosity regarding the world around him/her through environments and experiences that engage children in active, creative, and meaningful exploration, play, and inquiry. This is accomplished through;
Providing children with a variety of small indoor and outdoor group activities that encourage ENGAGEMENT and INQUIRY – learning through questioning and testing theories in their play, discussing and sharing ideas.
These activities include:
- Creative art activities and projects
- Science experiments and inquisition
- Cognitive and problem solving activities
- Cooking and nutrition activities
- Educational computer activities
- Sensory activities
- Block building and construction
- Drama, pretending and role playing
- Literacy activities – stories, poems, finger plays, chants
- Activities that are at times structured to provide for guidance and are at times unstructured to allow for free individual expression and creativity
- Special Enrichment Activities and Workshops – Super Science, Applefun Puppetry, Ten Ten Sports, Safari Magic, Artistic Way, Travelling Critters, Scrapbooking
We balance indoor/outdoor activities, active/quiet play and rest within each of our program daily schedules and objectives. All activities emphasize skills in self-esteem, self-respect, self-regulation and respect for others.